History of the Romford Conservative Club

The first steps in the formation of the club came on 18th February 1927 when the founding members did a land search on the site then known as Marshalls Hall in Havering Drive, which was on the site currently occupied by St. Edwards Church of England Primary school. That year the club took out an annual lease from the owner Edith Marie Webster at £150 per annum. A general meeting of the members was held on 15th November 1927 where the officers and committee were elected, there were 23 persons in attendance. The constitutional requirements having been satisfied the meeting voted to open the club that day and the club began trading. The club was formally opened by Charles Rhys the local MP on Saturday 3rd December 1927.

Before the recent re-fit
Before the recent re-fit

In 1944 Marshalls Hall was put up for auction so the club was forced to seek new premises. The club purchased 67 Main Road, then known as Summer Court, for £4500 from Ernest Barnes, Physician and Surgeon, who used the property for his practice. The club immediately changed the buildings name to its current “Churchill House”. The purchase was funded by donations from several members and a mortgage for £3200 which was paid off by 13th January 1952.

In early 2020 the club made a funding deal with the Association of Conservative Clubs to undertake the most comprehensive refurbishment of the club building since its purchase in 1948. The entire ground floor was modernised with all new furnishings’ fittings and fixtures and there has been extensive redecoration of the first floor. The finished results can be seen on the Gallery page.

After the re-fit